[CQ-Contest] Public Access to Logs

Ed K1EP k1ep.list at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 11:05:51 EST 2008

While I don't have much of a problem with contest logs being public if done
fairly, I don't like the fact that DXCC credit might be in jeopardy.  As an
example, about the only time that VP6DX . was on 160M SSB was during the
CQ160 SSB contest.  Now, if CQ publishes the logs of VP6DX, then my DXCC
credit might be in jeopardy, since that was the only time I worked them on
160 SSB (okay, I worked them first on 160 CW earlier) and VP6DX rightly so
discouraged dupes as a way  to ensure that you were in the log.  But can the
ARRL come to a compromise?  If both parties submit their contest logs and
both the logs are published at the same time, wouldn't that alleviate any
suspected impropriety?  And if you want to claim DXCC for a contact with a
station in a contest, you had better submit a log.  Seems like a win-win
situation.  Maybe more logs would get submitted for some contests and
therefore better checking.