[CQ-Contest] RTTY Reflections

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Wed Jan 9 08:54:14 EST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008, at 1:49 PM, Dennis OConnor wrote:

> I was on 20M CW Sunday
> afternoon. I sent my exchange, and was shocked when the other op
> replied by going on a rant, complete with profanity, on how I was
> wasting his time and mine by signing the /5.

> **********
>
>   I love it when i get some whack job like that... I would
> immediately slow waaay down, then send,
>   "Pse correct my call   AS  DE k8do  / qrp / 11 / mm / am / no
> kids no lids no space cadets   AS   Got THAT  QRL? QLID AR"

	Good one Dennis!

	I think this kind of sums up what I think about the whole thing.
Yes, it can get a little frustrating to be in the middle of a nice
run, and some clueless newbie comes along and slows ya down.

	But then again, I was a clueless newbie once too. Who here wasn't?

	Those of us who were never beginners, never had a first time at the
key or mic, came to Ham radio/ Contesting with the full skill set
have the right to complain.  Otherwise grin and bear it, just like we
do with children. After all, the clueless newbies are in effect, our
"Hamkids".

>   But then I'm known to love frequency fights, first timers going 3
> wpm, 10 year old kids with mike fright, etc. so maybe I'm not normal?

You are much more important than any 50 Hams that don't have the time
to spend with the newbies.

	- 73 de Mike N3LI -