[CQ-Contest] HAARP propagation monitors

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at pclink.com
Wed Jan 9 14:42:49 EST 2008

Zack... No I did not know that! Thanks for posting the information and links.

This information helps reinforce my position that the (ingenious, forward looking, important, useful, priceless, add your favorite adjectives here) NCDXA International Beacon System needs to be relocated to clear channels outside the Amateur Radio bands. The exact frequencies would be secondary to the idea of relocating them to a clear "channel".

If anyone does not know about this beacon system, first launched in 1979, you will find everything about it here:  http://www.ncdxf.org/beacons.html

After the 2006 CQWW RTTY Contest there were calls to "clear the channel" on the rtty at contesting.com reflector. This is what I had to say about this interference topic at that time:  http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/RTTY/2006-09/msg00182.html

Relying upon non-enforceable band plans, gentleman's agreements, chastising clueless newbies or old farts that CRS (can't remember stuff) will only restart endless debate and stir everyone's emotions. The myriad of opinions and conclusions are not an effective solution to the recurring problem. Can and should the interference be reduced, certainly. I stay away from that frequency and encourage others. I always mention this issue when making RTTY presentations.

The Worldwide Beaconing System is an ingenious amateur radio project created and managed by the Board of Directors of NCDXA. I have always believed it held tremendous commercial potential. Can you imagine the consequences if the amateur community had "invented" the WWV time services and launched the reference signals inside the amateur bands? I suggest the importance of the NCDXA International Beacon system increases every day, especially when government and commercial users are using it.

The HAARP site indicates their project and system is supported by US Navy, US Air Force, and Department of Defense funding. You would expect these agencies would carry enough weight in a petition to convince the FCC to provide clear channels for this system.

I am NOT saying the NCDXA and the amateur community should hand over this system to a government agency. My recommendation is to petition the FCC for special frequencies outside the amateur radio bands. This move would solve the amateur radio interference that is occurring.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 6