[CQ-Contest] FW: Getscores.org Changes/Improvements...

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Fri Jan 18 15:19:33 EST 2008

> Andy, you just hit my fundamental objection to GetScores.  I completely
> missed the CQWW SSB opening on 10 meters this year.  I heard stations
> working guys, but didnt work any of the Sporadic E into Europe.  Had a ham
> been looking at W3LPL's or KC1XX's or K1TTTs scores and saw rapid
> movements in 10 meters, do you think that peson could have dumped radio 2
> on 10 meters or moved to 10 all together?  Absolutely.

That's up to the logging software writers.  As has been pointed out
apparently writelog gives you the option to post the breakdown or not.  I
know there are those operators out there who will refuse to post a score at
all, and some who even refuse to use 3830 until they have done the final
cleanup and submission of their log... we will never get them to use the
scoreboard.

However, the discussion was based on the premise that WATCHING the top
scorers breakdowns would help someone beat them... this I contend is a bogus
argument.  The top operators and multis would not change their strategy
based on what someone else was doing, even if they bothered to waste their
time to analyze what was happening in real time.

As a frequent organizer of m/m operations, my strategy is simple, be on any
band that we might make qso's on all the time.  that won't change if I see
w3lpl making qso's on 10m when we aren't, because we are probably already
there calling cq right next to him.  And even top single ops I have hosted
here I don't think would even mostly watch the scores, let alone be swayed
to change what they think their best strategy is by them.  I want to see as
many scores as possible, with as much detail as possible, mostly to get more
interest from the 'little' guy, the casual operators, the non-contesters,
who might see that there really is life on 10m and get on to make a few
contacts.  Or who might wonder how we could possibly be running 100 qso's an
hour on 15m when they can't hear anything and come to investigate.

This type of real time exposure of a contest is something that has always
been missing and I think has kept many hams who might otherwise be
interested from participating... its just too long to wait to see results
with scores that don't get published for 6 months or more.  Especially today
with the instant feedback that people have come to expect out of the
internet if we don't add some kind of feature like this to contesting we are
going to fail to attract young replacements for our rapidly graying
community.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net