[CQ-Contest] Another way to be a lid

Ed K1EP k1ep.list at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 13:18:24 EST 2008

I read this post out of order, that is, I didn't read Art's original
post first.  I found it and read it.  In that post, the lid I believe
to whom he was referring was himself, not DG, as one might infer from
the subsequent posts.  He called himself a lid because in his haste
to reply he couldn't find the footswitch and was delayed in answering
DG's call and thought he sounded like a lid.  I don't think he was
referring to DG, who called him after someone else had started to
send his call.  If that were the case, then just about every one of
us could be called a lid.   Do we all politely wait our turn to call
a station, immediately yielding if we hear another station
calling?  And if someone calls you at a faster speed than what you
are calling CQ, it could be for different reasons.  One is that he is
forgot to turn down his speed after working someone else at a fast
speed.  Haven't you ever done that before?  Once you hear the
sidetone, you turn the knob. Another one is that he is arrogant and
doesn't care.  That doesn't seem likely and would not produce a Q,
which is the ultimate goal here.  And the other one is that you are
calling CQ at a speed at which the he (the calling station) knew was
slow for you, he knew the CQ'r and he upped his speed to be
noticed.  I think that the latter is the mark of a good
contester.  Art may have been calling CQ slow at a slow time in the
contest to attract second and third tier contesters.   Calling him
one time at a speed at which you know he can copy is efficient for
both of you.  On the other hand, if the station doesn't come back, I
fully expect that the calling party should QRS.