[CQ-Contest] CQ 160M scoring

Ed K1EP k1ep.list at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:06:20 EST 2008

I am confused a little by the rules.  I read the 2008 CQ 160M Contest
rules and under Scoring, there is the statement, "Contacts with other
countries on same continent, 5 points."  In the next paragraph,
Multiplier, there is the statement, "Do not count the United States
and Canada as separate countries."  Okay, so does that mean that
instead of 5 points for a W-VE QSO, it is 2 points?  In all the
contests in the past, I have received 5 points for a VE QSO.  I
checked previous contest rules and this is not something new, so
apparently I didn't read the rules carefully before.   Is it just
that you don't consider US and Canada as countries in the multiplier
totals, that is, you add up states, provinces, and countries other
than US and Canada?  But for determining QSO point scoring, they are
considered different countries?   Maybe I am too literal here, but
maybe a couple of extras words in the rules would clarify things.