[CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round II

Igor Sokolov ua9cdc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:56:36 EST 2008

You can use one set of filters because each of you rigs is on different band
at any given time. 2 SIX PACKS from WX0B and one set of filters (W3NQN
filters are the best choice) can do the job. But second harmonic from 40m
will only be suppressed if filters are used between the TX and antenna. If
you filter is between the transceiver and amplifier the amplifier will
generate second harmonic on 20 which will not be suppressed by 20m filter
since the harmonic is in it's passband.
In  "filter between the TX and antenna" scenario you only get 40 db
separation (and not 80 db, as in your example) since 40m filter does not
attenuate 40 m signal and 20 m filter does not attenuate second  harmonic
from 40m TX. Many people therefore use coax stubs at the output of the
linear amp to fight second and other harmonics (see K1TTT site for that). It
is advisable to automate switching of all those filters, stubs, linears and
antennas because in the heat of the contest you will inevitably make
mistakes sooner or later.

73, Igor UA9CDC