[CQ-Contest] Self-spotting, arranged QSO's and the CQ 160 contest

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Tue Jan 29 10:17:07 EST 2008

Actually I think it points out that there is no way to stop this.
People can watch spots anonymously any time they want.

It points out that there are plenty of people out there the will
bend/break any rule to better their scores.

There are plenty of people that think packet is fine to use single op
regardless of the rules.

Just who's log do you trust?

Packet is one thing.  Do we just throw in the towel and allow packet
because there is no way to police those using packet.  With all the
traffic on spotting lately the cheaters I am sure have picked up on how
we are tracking them and will alter their style accordingly.

Prearranged contacts are another.  It happened with a big Caribbean
Multi where station were called on the telephone and schedules made.  I
met the owner of the home where this occurred and he told me all about it.

Now we have chat rooms, and oodles of instant messenger programs, IRC
chats etc.  Which only makes the arranging of contacts that much easier.

Once again I think it is time the contest sponsors take a hard stand and
and those that are determined to be cheating given a long break from
that or their contests.  IMHO.