[CQ-Contest] 160m contest and chat-room

Wolfgang Schlaffer dl5mae at yahoo.de
Tue Jan 29 18:34:18 EST 2008

Dear Gentlemen,

  you started a HIGHLY INTERESTING discussion about the 160m contest!!!

  I will assure you this situation will become even much worse in the near future if you guys
  dont protest against it. QSOs via internet MUST be forbidden for contests and diplomas.

  I am coming out of the 2m EME (moonbounce) scene and there we have already this
  horror scenario. Since the digital modes were invented almost all QSOs are done via internet.
  Even expeditions are found during the entire period on chat-rooms and exchanging QSO information during a contact.
  Even the ARRL EME contest rules were changed for a so-called assissted category!!!

  If you want to have a look on a EME chatroom then I highly recommend
  to go to :   www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt65emeA

  On this chatroom almost all the ARRL (2m) EME Contest took place last autumn.

  What many people think about internet contesting you may find on:

  www.arrl.org/contests/soapbox/?con_id=146

  Go there and read the comment of a very successful contester, IK1UWL!
  He writes: Calling without selfspots is useless, so we did selfspots every 5 minutes...

  Gentlemen, its on YOU if you want to rescue YOUR band (160m) from the same situation
  like we have now with 2m (higher QRGs to follow?) or not.
  If you dont bring contest-organizers to a point to forbid such chat-room practises during a contest and if you dont bring DXCC commitee to a decision to count chat-room QSOs
  for DXCC then you have to live in the same situation like we have now on 2m EME.

  I am holder of DXCC #10 on 2m and worked WAS on 2m. It took me about 25 years and
  I am proud about it. But now its easy to work 2m DXCC in a very short time with all
  the chat-rooms and a software which is very doubtful.

  Unfortunately my protests at NC1L seem to be as useless as calling CQ on EME digital mode without selfspots...

  A very nice summary   of the new digital EME era you find at:  www.blog.sm2cew.com

  Gentlemen, its on you if you want to rescue your favourite band (160m). With a handful
  of "old fashioned EME OPs" those use good old CW it was not possible.
  Perhaps you 160m freaks are a bigger majority and will get a move...

  vy 73 de DL5MAE Wolfgang