[CQ-Contest] self spotting

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Jan 30 11:29:34 EST 2008

True.  But that doesn't tell you who the anonymous spotter is or was.

And frankly, if I were of the mindset to use a phony call to self-spot or otherwise post misleading spots (not that I recommend that, mind you -- nor would I do so), I'd find some way to disguise my IP address.  I can think of a few ways to do it... and the most obvious one would be to access the Internet via a neighbor's unsecured wireless router, and use that as the conduit to feed spots.  Even if you (or K1TTT doing his good sleuthing work, etc.) traced it back to the router, you'd only get to my neighbor's home, not mine.

Implausible?  Well, I've noticed several open wireless networks around the house.  One is located somewhere between myself and WQ3T, assuming that their network name matches their home address!  So -- you trace it back to that house, then who do you point the finger at?

73