[CQ-Contest] Using ON4KST-chat

Robert Naumann w5ov at w5ov.com
Thu Jan 31 07:23:29 EST 2008

The place to draw the line is at what CQ WW defines as active or passive
use. Passive use of packet is permitted, active use is not permitted.

Very simple, and *all* contests should adopt that standard.

Passive use is where you connect and post spots of what you hear on the
radio and you receive those unsolicited spots posted by others of what they
hear on the radio.

Active use really anything more than passive use and some examples are where
you spot yourself, request specific things (multipliers, countries, zones,
states, etc.) to be spotted, consult with others using that medium, arrange
qsos, make schedules etc.

Active Use / Passive Use. Very easy to understand and solves the problem.

Clearly this chat thing is active use. It should be forbidden in all
contests - regardless of entry category.

73,

Bob W5OV