[CQ-Contest] Using GPSs and Google to place antennas

Dave/KA1NCN dave at ka1n.cn
Wed Jul 2 17:06:42 EDT 2008

Like most people, I use Google Maps to look down upon the earth.  Indeed, I have had occasion to covet many of your antennas using this wonderful service.  Some day, I hope to have a antennas like those that I see from above.

Finding the precise place to put a set of antennas is not an easy task.  For instance, an array such as a four square must be precisely positioned.  Since we all have access to Google Maps, which will tell us the coordinates of any place on earth, and we all have GPS, which will tell us where we are, it dawned on me that we could probably use GPS as a means to position antennas when planning a permanent or expedition station.  (I realize that there are some errors in GPS, but let’s set these aside.)

The problem is, I can’t figure out the equations to take one set of coordinates, and add a distance and bearing to them.  There are lots of online calculators that tell you the distance and bearing between two coordinates, but none that I can return a new set of coordinates given a distance and bearing.

Has anyone thought of this, or am I missing something?

73
Dave/KA1NCN

 dave at KA1N.CN