[CQ-Contest] Log checking anomalies

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Jul 19 00:30:14 EDT 2008

K9TM and I check the logs for the ARRL 160M and 10M contests, and one of
the checks we do on all the log are "errors caused".  That is, how many
errors did other people get hit with because of the log in question.

If a log has a high "errors caused" percentage (for example, 100 QSOs
checked with 90 errors) then we know something is wrong.  If every
checked QSO caused a NIL at the other end, then it's highly likely the
entrant's callsign is probably wrong.  If the exchanged location is
always bad, then the entrant's location is probably wrong.  This is when
the detective work starts, e-mails to the entrant, etc.

Every year we see a number of logs where the callsign and/or state are
not correct.  Often, it appears that the entrant took their laptop to
another station where the default name/state are incorrect.  This is
like me turning in a log indicating I was K8CC in MI when I was K8MAD in OH.

Every contester owes it to his fellow participants to ensure their log
is as accurate as possible.  Sometimes, detecting log errors is a
difficult challenge.  In our logchecking efforts, we hold as our #1
premise that no log should be wrongly penalized, and we do our best to
catch all the errors.  But help out the logcheckers by double-checking
your log is accurate within your control.

73,

Dave/K8CC