[CQ-Contest] if you can't do it right, don't do it all

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Mon Jul 21 07:12:23 EDT 2008

Since I am a member of the CQWWCC, I won't address this with respect to contesting.
And I am NOT addressing this as a member of the CQWWCC.  What follows is my own
offering, without approval, rejection, consent, or review by anyone else.  This is MY
opinion.

In general (wide application in all fields), how do you know if it is "right" unless
you attempt something and see how it flies?

I sincerely doubt that there has been anything created by man (the species), which has
worked to everyone's expectation and satisfaction, the first time out of the box.  This seems
to be especially true of software, which is fully the creation of man and hence fully
represents "human error."

Like it or not, for most things in life, we are all, at some level, beta testers...or maybe delta
testers, or phi testers, or even zeta testers...but we are testers.  If it were always "right,"
right out of the box, there would be no need for CQI, TQM, Six Sigma, Kaizen, etc.  But you
know what...these approaches do exist and are exercised every hour of every day.

If you get it 98% right, isn't that worth the effort?  Sure, we still strive for 100%, but does
that mean until we are sure (how is one ever "sure"?) that is it "right", that it shouldn't be
released?  This would make everything in life a non-starter.

Sorry, but in my opinion, "if you can't do it right, don't do it all" just makes no practical sense.

Now, putting on my committee hat, I will echo Bob's post:  The feedback provided is genuinely
appreciated and we have already made good use of it.  THANKS!

de Doug KR2Q