[CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Jul 29 07:08:24 EDT 2008

At 10:18 PM 7/28/2008, Dick Green WC1M wrote:
>....Anyone can submit a contest log labelled "F2xxx". ARRL and CQ
>have absolutely no idea whether those logs came from the actual F2xxx or an
>imposter. If someone wanted to game or discredit the DXCC system, they could
>submit a contest log under a bogus call. The log would then be forwarded to
>LoTW. If LoTW were to accept such a log without proper authentication, then
>the system could be fooled into granting DXCC credits that were not earned.
>Once that happens, confidence in the system is lost.
>
>Bottom line, LoTW won't accept QSO records from an unauthenticated source.

I respect Dick's views on this, because of his intimate knowledge of both
the LOTW system and ARRL contest policy.  However, I think that these
implementation issues can be ironed out, if we don't lose sight of the
objective, which is to promote both contesting and the LOTW system.  The
point is for people to know that contest QSOs will show up in LOTW, so if
they join, they can get award credit for them; conversely, if they
participate in contests, they will benefit their quest for awards.  For
those of us who already upload every QSO to LOTW (like Mal), the practical
difference is nil.

I am clueless about the fine points of computer security.  However, Dick
assumes that a contest log must be authenticated, before a single contact
from it is accepted into LOTW.  It seems clear to me that if an LOTW
certificate were required for submission of a contest log, that would be
totally contrary to the idea of promoting contesting and LOTW.  However, my
view is that if logs for a given contest are open, and if only
cross-checked contacts are transferred, the chances of a spoofer
contaminating the system through a bogus log are very small.  To begin
with, he would have to actually operate in the contest using the fake
callsign, to make cross-checked QSOs that would be transferred to LOTW.  He
would have to borrow the callsign of a station that had a LOTW certificate
(forget my original notion of both stations needing to be members of LOTW -
one should suffice).  To me, that would almost require collusion between
the spoofer and the person whose callsign was being borrowed.  All of this
would have to be done in public (because both contest logs and results
would be published).

I wonder if everyone has forgotten that back in the 1970s, DXCC credit
*was* given for ARRL DX Contest QSOs.  Was the system any less subject to
gaming in those days?  Were we any less concerned about the sanctity of DXCC?

73, Pete N4ZR

73, Pete N4ZR