[CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

k3bu at optimum.net k3bu at optimum.net
Wed Jul 30 09:04:46 EDT 2008

> In that vein, I believe that participant logs ought to be a private
> transaction between the participant and the sponsor, and that
> "fair use" of
> the log should not extend beyond that needed to score the contest.
>
> 73, de Hans, K0HB

Lemme see...

We operate contests on the air, when anyone, the whole world can listen.
Nowadays one can dedicate Skimmer to monitor whatever.

Now comes the "private transaction" or even copyright of this "literary art"?
Unless someone wants to hide their "creative" logging and if contesting is based on who can be more creative and "clever" in the art of beefing up their scores with juicy points, then the "privacy" of the logs is immaterial.

Making logs public is a great tool in deterring the "padding", uncovering goofs of checking process and educational for little pistols to see how masters are doing and get better - mo' points for everybody.

Remove the 3 QSO "penalties," ZERO points for own country and make contesting more fun for everyone.

Yuri  K3BU.us
www.MVresort.comfor your meetings, conventions, fairs