[CQ-Contest] DX Doubler and contesting

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Wed Jul 30 15:44:28 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:30:26PM -0700, Michael Dinkelman wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Reviewing the documentation on the Web page, how do others
> handle using this device with two audio sources (soundcard DVP
> and the microphone)?

Probably the easiest approach is to use a RigBlaster-like interface between
the rig and the DXDoubler.

> The diagram in the manual seems to indicate putting them
> in parallel. That doesn't look right. My homebrew SO2R
> box uses switches a relay between the sources and I
> transformer isolate the DVP audio.
>
> Also, does anybody modify their DX Doubler so you can use
> a remote switch box to switch the receive audio? Don't like
> the idea of reaching up to throw the switch for
> left/right/both. (I like mine on the desk.)

At the station I sometimes operate from that uses a DXDoubler, it
sits to the left of the keyboard, on the desk.  This seems to be a
good location, as my logging program (TR) can send a DVK message
with an ENTER key press.  My right hand homes on the keyboard,
and the left hand homes more often on the DXDoubler.

With a remote switch, you could put it anywhere, of course.
I think the biggest challenge might be to make sure the cable to
the extended switch doesn't pick up RF - maybe put some toroids
at either end.