[CQ-Contest] Skimmer for S/O in IARU

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Mon Jun 2 12:32:26 EDT 2008

The rules say:

"Use of spotting nets or packet is not permitted."

The quote from K1ZZ reported on Radio-Sport.net is:

"The 2008 rules are as published," was the succinct reply
from ARRL Chief Executive Officer David Sumner K1ZZ.

Apparently Radio-Sport interprets that as meaning it is
allowed?  Is that the official ruling or is it a subjective
determination as to whether it is allowed within the rules
that were written before this new and wonderful transforming
technology was developed?

It needs to be stated that you can either use Skimmer or not
use Skimmer by the Contest Director.

If this doesn't fall within the intent of a spotting net, I
don't know what does.  The benefit of a local Skimmer is so
much greater than packet it is not even comparable.  It
provides spots of EVERY station it hears and only those it
hears.

One can play games with whether it is another operator,
called packet, not called packet, whether it is hooked
directly to your computer or networked to your computer from
another computer running Skimmer in the same room, etc., the
fact is that without any operator involvement or skill
whatsoever, it provides a list of every station it hears
calling CQ and the QRG.

I've seen it in operation in the WPX Contest and my opinion
became stronger every time I saw that bandmap fill up with a
never ending supply of stations to click on.

I actually believe Kevin would have done better in the WPX
without using it since over 1/3 of all stations worked are
new multipliers.  Without question, the detriment to those
who are not using it in a contest that has a relatively
limited number of multipliers is HUGE.

Stan, K5GO