[CQ-Contest] Skimmer - What shall we do?

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Mon Jun 2 18:45:29 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz at aspwebhosting.com>

>  ... isn't skimmer just another technology that really
> only benefits those with significantly more means to build
> a contest station?  This is certainly true of SO2R.

Not true.  SO2R benefits those who, through self-training,
acquire the necessary skills.

> If skimmer is going to make a huge difference, like SO2R has,
> why ban it and not SO2R?

Because you don't need much in the way of self-training to
benefit from Skimmer.

> What I do have though, is enough common sense to know that
> our hobby is based upon technology ...

Our hobby is based upon "self-training, intercommunication, and
technical investigations".
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=amateur

73,
Paul EI5DI