[CQ-Contest] Skimmer - What shall we do?

David Kopacz david.kopacz at aspwebhosting.com
Mon Jun 2 21:27:57 EDT 2008

>  ... isn't skimmer just another technology that really
> only benefits those with significantly more means to build
> a contest station?  This is certainly true of SO2R.

>>Not true.  SO2R benefits those who, through self-training,
>>acquire the necessary skills.

It is true. For every one operator you find that can afford an SO2R
station, I will show you one hundred that cannot.

For every one hundred operators who deploy skimmer in an average amateur
environment, I'll show you one that will deploy it with multiple
receivers and dedicated antennas. Watch and see.

Training is NOT the issue. Anyone can train to be an astronaut if given
the opportunity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkeys_in_space

Clearly, not everyone has the opportunity or means.

> If skimmer is going to make a huge difference, like SO2R has,
> why ban it and not SO2R?

Because you don't need much in the way of self-training to
benefit from Skimmer.

Training is not the issue. The issue is solely in the number of radios
being utilized. Just because a person self trains to operate two radios
instead of one, does not mean that everyone whom chooses to use only one
radio should be forced to compete with those that self train to use two.

If this weren't the case, then why is there any difference between M/S,
M/2 and M/M?

> What I do have though, is enough common sense to know that
> our hobby is based upon technology ...

Our hobby is based upon "self-training, intercommunication, and
technical investigations".
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=amateur

Whatever...take away the technology and what do you have left?

I think you just like to argue with me...so I'll now spin the dial.

David ~ KY1V