[CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

Chuck Chandler charles_chandler at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 21:02:52 EDT 2008

Hhhmmmmm, interesting....

OK, here's a starting point.

Proposed rule for Single Op:
"A single operator performs all functions that decode recovered intelligence
from the radio spectrum.  No other assistance of any kind may be used to
decode intelligence from the radio spectrum with the exception of the use of
non-human means to decode a segment of the radio spectrum no wider than the
capability of unassisted human hearing."

Comment:
This restricts non-human aid to only listen to a slice of spectrum similar
to what humans can cover.  Say, 20 kHz or so at a max.  Someone, somewhere,
could run a 20 kHz wide audio stream into Koss headphones and attempt to
decode every signal... good luck.  Or, restrict it further to that covered
by an audio channel, say 3 kHz.

The point isn't where you draw the line, it is which crayon you use.  The
spectrum width crayon seems to me to be a workable choice for DEFINING the
issue.

I STILL cannot make up my mind where I fall on the yea/nay decision.

This would allow code readers, fairly wide RTTY multi-stream decoding
software, etc.  It would also allow skimmer in a "non-entire-band" mode.
What
the effect would be of that, I dunno.  Narrowing the bandwidth allowed would
limit the RTTY multi-stream stuff, as well as Skimmer.

OK, comments?  Better ideas?  How about assisted?

73 de Chuck, WS1L
charles_chandler at comcast.net