[CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

Steve IK4WMH ik4wmh at virgilio.it
Wed Jun 4 04:02:41 EDT 2008

Hello W4TV,

Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 12:05:51 AM, you wrote:

JSW> Not only does it emasculate SO2R operation with a 10 minute rule,

That's a way to separate the SO1R and SO2R entrants.

Most contests have separate High/Low/QRP power categories.

Since I don't see any skills involved in hooking the ampli to the rest
of the gear I suspect the reason for the separate classes must have
something to do with the great advantage they bring to the operator.

SO2R does that also, it requires some skills and a lot of new hardware
and allows a half shot operator to beat an excellent SO1R.

SO2R has a very big advantage over SO1R due to the extra hardware used
so it should have a place on its own, and it's also easily
enforceable.

JSW> it prohibits the user of Writelog

I've never used Writelog, I once visited the web page and found no
demo available so I looked elsewhere.

JSW> with its dual 6 channel decoders (one of which would be running
JSW> on the second receiver "outside the operator's own running
JSW> frequency")

I have never heard of these decoders but if they are used to decode CW
and print callsigns then they look like mini skimmers to me.

JSW> and would force any operator who was unable to copy CW either due
JSW> to the lack of training or physical incapacity to enter the
JSW> "assisted" category.

What's wrong with entering the assisted category if you ARE assisted?

JSW> These "rule" proposals are nothing but anti-technology rants.

I am not against technology, I just want the right place for it.

Do you think driving a Formula 1 against a stock car would be fair?
I don't think so.

I don't want to stop the evolution of the Formula 1 cars, I just want
them to compete against their peers.

Famous Sport Quotes:

"Here we are in the Holy Land of Israel - a Mecca for tourists"
David Vine, BBC commentator