[CQ-Contest] Use of di-di-dah-dah-di-dit in CW Contest

Mark Beckwith n5ot at n5ot.com
Thu Jun 5 22:26:01 EDT 2008

I think more guys send "?" for "QRL?" than they do for "huh?"  Whenever I
hear a question mark and there is nothing else going on (like for instance
trying to copy someone else who is not sending "?" on my frequency) I just
immediately send a short CQ.

If someone else is calling under the question mark, hopefully I get his call
and work him (also a very good response so someone else sending a question
mark).  The problems start when the other guy is too weak to copy and his
call is real long.  Then the guy sending the question mark, if he's a jerk,
like many are, will start calling CQ.  Under these circumstances I ditch the
weak guy with the long call and warm up the shack with a medium length CQ.

Usually the guy sending the question mark goes away because he realizes his
bluff has been called, and the weak guy with the long call is still there
and calls again.  If he's not, he'll probably be back.  Cost = nothing.

Mark, N5OT