[CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

ve4xt at mts.net ve4xt at mts.net
Tue Jun 10 11:21:29 EDT 2008

It seems the only people now arguing that computer logging, auto-tune amplifiers or the like should
constitute "assistance" are those arguing for the unfettered release of Skimmer into the contesting
ethos.

It has always been clear, spelled out in many rules, that "assisted" classes refer to those operators
receiving spotting information (callsigns and QRGs, not merely spikes on a bandscope). There has never
been a mention of automation of the administrivia of contesting being "assistance".

So to argue that to place Skimmer into "assisted" classes means that you must also place any other
automated feature of a station into assisted is simply a red herring. The smart readers of this forum
have not bought into that particular bit of seafood.

I am not anti-Skimmer: but I do not buy the argument that our forefathers intended to restrict the
definition of assistance only to that information coming from other people. Spots are spots.

73, kelly
ve4xt