[CQ-Contest] The Skimmer Rule Challenge

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jun 11 06:13:37 EDT 2008

At 10:10 PM 6/10/2008, Randy Thompson wrote:
>You can't expect the sponsors and rule makers to be clairvoyant.  Or to work
>in a vacuum!
>
>I have seen very few actual rules proposals floated here compared to the
>volume of dialog on the subject of skimmer.  You never know what twist of
>phrase that someone suggests will generate an "ah ha" moment for a contest
>sponsor tasked with writing rules.
>
>To those who have contributed proposals, they have been very thoughtful.
>They have also demonstrated just how hard it is to make simple rules that
>are easily understood while not being open to too much interpretation.  Keep
>them coming.
>
>Randy, K5ZD

Since nobody commented on it at the time, let me dust off the proposal made
several weeks ago by N3BB, somewhat shortened and simplified to focus on
the key issue.

Single Op

Operates the station equipment alone. No receiving, spotting or alerting
assistance of any kind is allowed.  No decoding devices may be used, except
for RTTY, where decoding of incoming signals is allowed if the decoding is
done within a 3-KHz bandwidth.

Single Operator Unlimited

Same as Single Op except that receiving or alerting assistance may be used,
as well as decoding devices.

I think that Jim's distinction is clear, and establishes the fundamental
principle - anything that an unaugmented human op can't do (except for the
RTTY exception) is in the Unlimited category.  It's not bad, or wimpy, it's
just different.  People can decide which group they want to compete in.

OK, so there's a straw man.

73, Pete N4ZR