[CQ-Contest] CW Skimmer - Don't Change Anything

Paul Mackanos - K2DB k2db at k2db.org
Fri Jun 13 09:14:58 EDT 2008

We already allow CW decoders.
We already allow packet spots.
Skimmer does both.
Don't change any rules until we have reliable data to change them.

What's the problem?
Let me answer my own question, the problem is CHANGE.
Most everyone is afraid to CHANGE; they are comfortable with things staying
the same.
If you like and embrace change, then this is a new technology that you will
check out.
If you don't like change, then we will continue to hear the whining, and all
that goes along with the bottom line - I don't want to change, so I will
whine so they change the rules to favor ME.

>From my LIMITED experience with CW Skimmer I see the following:
1) You need a newer SDR (software defined radio) to get the bandwidth needed
to make Skimmer efficient. I use an Icom 746Pro, and skimmer is USELESS on
it.
 I built one of the Softrock kits for 40 meters and it gives me 7.032 to
7.080. That's great, now in order to get 7.000 to 7.032 I need to upgrade
and get a new sound card that samples better. (This would be the case on any
band you choose - limited bandwidth)
2) I can see the signals and click on them and watch them decode, that's
good, but it makes MISTAKES and my ear copies much more than it decodes on
the weaker sigs.

 Unless I am wrong, and I have been wrong before, this is a new technology
that will be refined and work better in the future than it does now, and it
will not go away.
a) Single ops will be in a debate (whining) about it.
b) Multi-Ops will check it out and possibly use it as another tool.

The stations that click on a spot, work it and log it without checking out
the spot for the accuracy, ie: right call sign, will still do the same with
a skimmer spot, so nothing changes.
Single ops that take the time to check out all those wonderful spots from
skimmer will not have time to be CQing and running a frequency, so they will
lose. (You ain't winning if you ain't CQing).

Don't change anything until the data supports it.

Paul K2DB