[CQ-Contest] single-op pornography

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Sun Jun 15 21:09:43 EDT 2008

Defining "Assisted," especially in terms of Skimmer is somewhat like pornography -
"I know it when I see it." [Justice Potter Stewart]  In other words, observation tells much.

Watch a single op and then watch a single-op using DX alerting methods.
What they do and especially how they do it are different.
Then watch a single-op using skimmer.   Which one does skimmer look like more?

By observation alone (someone standing in the shack, looking at what is happening).....
the "assisted" op seems to have a-priori knowledge of not only where to go (qrg) but what
call sign to copy (giving the benefit of the doubt by assuming that they copy the call).  Why?
Because they DO have a-priori knowledge of same.

The single-op is "exploring" (unless passing) while the SOA is taking directed actions.

Comments?

de Doug KR2Q