[CQ-Contest] Real World Testing The Packet/Skimmer Score IncreaseHypothesis

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Mon Jun 16 17:50:43 EDT 2008

> The Packet/Skimmer Score Increase Hypothesis can be real world tested in
> any
> contest by pairs of comparable single operators/stations not necessarily
> interested in competing for a top score, but who alternate each year using
> Packet/Skimmers or not. The station using Packet/Skimmer can submit as a
> Multi-op or a checklog. This proposal does not require all out efforts.

This, by definition, is not a realistic test of the capabilities that the
top ops are worried about... this is, if any top ops are really worried.
The big worry seems to be that the use of the skimmer would upset the apple
cart so badly that perennial winners would get beaten.  So unless you can
get two top ops to really go at it and make serious use of skimmer its not a
real test.  And I also contend that it will take more than just a once a
year use to learn how to best use the skimmer.  Much like use of packet you
have to learn how to make spots work to your advantage and not just be a
distraction.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net