[CQ-Contest] Public access to logs

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Tue Mar 4 19:56:09 EST 2008

W3WN said:

>Now, as I think has already been mentioned in this discussion, the fine
>print in the ARRL rule is that the log restriction is for DXpeditions; so if
>I understand that correctly, that argument is now moot and the integrity of
>the DXCC program is unaffected.

 From http://www.arrl.org/awards/dxcc/rules.html#si

"5. The presentation in any public forum of logs or other
representations of station operation showing details of station
activity or other information from which all essential QSO elements
(time, date, band, mode and callsign) for individual contacts can be
derived creates a question as to the integrity of the claimed QSOs
with that station during the period encompassed by the log.
Presentation of such information in any public forum by the station
operator, operators or associated parties is not allowed and may be
considered sufficient reason to deny ARRL award credit for contacts
with any station for which such presentations have been made.
Persistent violation of this provision may result in disqualification
from the DXCC program."

As written, the rule applies to any log - not just those of
DXpeditions.

The majority of those who have commented in this thread
strike me as folks who do not have that many of their
contest Qs used for DXCC credit by others.

Like it or not, many of the casuals make contacts in
contests for reasons other than competing in those events
& now one of the leading reasons for casuals to call us
DX types has potentially been seriously undermined.

This could be far worse for the permanent DX type than
a DXpedition, as like those who do not QSL, word will
get around that a Q with one of us also does not count
for the casual guy & unlike the DXpedition, we're all
here for the long run.

Take away a crucial part of the "food chain" & in time,
everything in that chain will be effected - now that, IMHO,
is something that most folks here should be concerned
about.

73, ex-VR2BrettGraham/p.