[CQ-Contest] Open logs - one more voice

bdaniels01 at aol.com bdaniels01 at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 14:03:14 EST 2008

>Igor UA9CDC Wrote:
> Now if a contest sponsor ever insisted that only QSO’s with stations > submitting logs would count in their contest – then I would understand not > QSLing unless I entered my log – that as you said would be reciprocal.
>

> 73 Bob K8KWT

>Hi Bob,
>That is exactly the case with almost all the Russian contests including international contests and at >least some of the EU contests. They only count QSO if the corresponding log is submitted. I do not >support such an approach myself but their argument is that QSO is a 2 way process and can only be >verified and found valid when both logs show the same information.

>73, Igor UA9CDC

Today is a good day.   I have learned something new!  I was not aware that there was that many mainstream contests out there that require log entry from both sides in order for points to be awarded.  (Which is what the contester wants)

It seems I will have to change my operating practice.  If the contest requires logs from both sides of a QSO for it to count for the contester I obviously need to do this if I expect to get QSL's.  (Which is what I want)

Of course that would still only be true if the contest sponsor doesn't publish complete logs.  If they do and the ARRL says "No good for DXCC" then there is no reason for me to participate in that sponsors contest at all.

As far as others saying "No Open Logs" only apply to DXpeditions – are we talking only big Mega Dxpeditions or does this include all the mini-Dxpeditions that go down to the Caribbean just for the contest?

Personally I still think the DXCC rules say,  “published open logs” are a no-no for anyone, and if the ARRL starts enforcing that rule I see a big decline in CQWW contesters scores in the future.

Bob K8KWT