[CQ-Contest] Spotting Network Hi-jinks

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Wed Mar 5 17:36:54 EST 2008

While I really haven't noticed any adverse effects of friends spotting
friends and such during a contest where I'm operating M/M, M/S, or M/2, what
really bothers me when are the number of broken calls.

Sunday afternoon, watching broken call after miserable broken call scrolling
down the screen, I couldn't help but wonder if something like this is
possible:

For each broken callsign posted to the cluster by a station, that station's
log will be assess an additional 3-QSO penalty during log processing
(hopefully the bozo worked the station and logged it with the broken call).
If K1TTT can gather all that cluster information that he does, surely the
log checkers can do it or something similar too to incorporate that
information into the log checking algorithms.

Frankly, I think it would be very cool to post the calls of the posters of
broken callsigns in their own box in the contest results or post to CQ
Contest or even a webpage .

We talk about ways to improve our performance in contests.  Having to deal
with the broken callsigns in the 'heat' of the contest only takes away from
the enjoyment and the score in the form of wasted time and effort to make
sure the call is broken and an actual mult/Q doesn't slip away.  This is
definitely an area needing attention and fixing--which can improve
everyone's performance who are using packet assistance.

Or...based on the recent development of a possible boxing smoker (Battle of
the Bottom of the Band?) at Hamvention or Crowne Plaza, maybe we could add
those inept poster's names to the fight card--the top five inept posters get
personal invites to the 'hospitality suite'.

Just a thought or two...

73,
Dale, kg5u