[CQ-Contest] ARRL rule...the introduction (aka CONTEXT)

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Thu Mar 6 19:52:32 EST 2008

> I got into a real debate with Wayne not long before he left
> the League about pre-emptive QSLing - relying on my log to QSL
> everyone I thought I'd worked, without waiting for a card from
> them.  Eventually, he allowed as how what was OK for an N4 would
> not be for a DXpedition to Kosovo.  Yet increasingly, DXpeditions
> and individual travelers are uploading their entire logs to LOTW.

There is a big difference between pre-emptive QSLing (sending a
physical card) to every station you work in a contest and a
DXpedition uploading logs to Logbook of the World.   With the
cards, the call you have "busted" (e.g., W4ZR vs. N4ZR) receives
a card that can be used for an award he potentially did not
earn.  With Logbook of the World - since it is "double blind"
- W4ZR would need to "guess" that a QSO with N4ZR was busted
at a specific time, specific band and specific mode.  The chance
of a confirmation for a busted QSO on Logbook of the World is
vanishingly small.

However, public logs significantly increase the chance of
confirming the busted call ... I could literally comb the logs
of DX stations looking for contacts with W?TV, N4TV, K4TV ...
on SSB I could extend that to W?TB, maybe even W?TP or any
number of phonetically similar calls.  On CW, with log data
it would be easy to argue that W3TV, W4TU, W4NU, W4DA, etc.
were really "my" QSO that had been busted.  In all cases,
who can really argue that the call was not busted?

> Frankly, I think Wayne was way out on the far end of the
> bell-shaped curve in his approach to the sanctity of DXCC
> as well as, for that matter, the security of LOTW.

I think Bob White would be spinning in his grave with lack
of concern - and apparent disdain - many here are expressing
to the security and sanctity of DXCC.  The lack of concern for
the standards 60 plus years (Don Miller not withstanding) is
appalling.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV