[CQ-Contest] Skimmer for Propagation Analysis

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sun Mar 9 20:44:40 EDT 2008

I don't get it.  What good does that do?  I was trying to point out that
a broad use of Skimmer (or similar application) could create a global
propagation map that would be extremely useful for analysis, maybe even
more so after the fact when the openings and closings as a function of
time could be examined.  Forget signal reports ... I agree they can't be
trusted and all that is needed is accurate QTH information.  If I only
depend upon the signals I personally hear, or stations I can't hear
being called by stations I do hear, I don't get anything close to a
global picture like Skimmer could generate.  I doubt there would ever be
enough active stations to make any of this worthwhile outside of a
contest, which is why I hypothesized that a contest with grid square as
part of the exchange would be helpful.

Looking up addresses is just plain silly ... it's manual and greatly
limits the data points you could capture in any interval of time.
Skimmer could automatically generate a detailed global propagation
record for the entire period of the contest, at least within the
constraints of it's recognition threshold and limited only by the number
of telneting contributors.

Dave   AB7E