[CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card

Barry w2up3 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 10 14:50:27 EDT 2008

Scott Robbins wrote:
>> Sure, fantastic software indeed, and you are demonstrating what it is
>> capable of. Perhaps the most profound implication is that it can render
>> the use of DX clusters irrelevant, and therefore - at a stroke- deprive
>> the cheats of their ( currently enjoyed) edge.
>>

> I think you have it backwards.  The Skimmer will allow those who use packet
> while claiming unassisted to fade into the background.  Because the Skimmer
> will display decoded calls and all I have to do as an unassisted operator is
> click on them to work them, I can work them a helluva lot faster than actually
> having to go find them myself.  Which is exactly the same as clicking packet
> spots.  It will be VERY difficult to determine who is cheating w/packet and who
> is not.

If skimmer is designated as assistance by the contest sponsors, I don't
believe it will be hard to find the cheaters.  The data produced by
CT1BOH et al shows very different operating characteristics between SO
and SOA.

> Phone contests may be the new true test of operator skill in the future.
>
> Scott W4PA

Phone contest and operator skill will never belong in the same sentence :.)
Barry W2UP

--

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA