[CQ-Contest] Open logs in 2008 Russian DX Contest

Jukka Klemola jukka.klemola at elisanet.fi
Mon Mar 10 16:31:58 EDT 2008

Hello,

RDXC delivered at least my award in 14-15 months after the 2006 contest.
Not at all bad achievement !
That is one key criteria for evaluating contest organisers devotion for
their own contest.

Thus RDXC number of participants is rising.
2005: 2581 logs, 7000 different real calls in logs
2006: 2864 logs, 7400 different real calls in logs
2007: 3032 (if I got it right), I do not know how many calls

>It seems like the Russian DX Contest has a couple of good ideas:
>
>* Open logs
>* Explicit prohibition against self-spotting
>* Explicit prohibition against using multiple call signs to support one
>score
>* Appropriate penalties for errors in the logs

Agreed.

>And some really, really _bad_ ideas:
>
>* No real single operator categories
>* Recommending that QRP stations sign /QRP
>* No remote control stations allowed for any reason

Please define a read single op category.
In case you mean spotting, do not worry. Be happy.
At least I do not use spotting in RDXC .. or any other contest for that
matter.
I just operate the contest. My computer is only for logging.
No Skimmer, no spotting.
Aim is to have fun.

What is wrong with signing /QRP?
Some do, some do not.
In the last 25 contests I have participated in each one there have been
stations signing /QRP. I am sure some will not use /QRP even if they
would be /QRP.

Please explain why remote control should be encouraged for contest
operations? Personally I believe in the concept of being at the radio
site and operating the QSOs there.
Taking the trouble of actually getting there is part of the fun.

>I've never operated the RDXC before, and I'm not sure what it would
take
>for me to develop an interest in it, but without a true single operator
>category, and falling so close between two more important phone
>contests (ARRL DX and CQ WPX) it's just not that enticing.

Agreed especially for ARRL DX SSB. It is a very nice contest.
But why would you force yourself to operate sideband?

In this contest you can decide if you operate the true brain-splitting
mixed mode or CW.

Target to maximise the fun and enjoy.

73,
Jukka OH6LI