[CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 11 11:29:24 EDT 2008

W4PA:

 >The Skimmer will allow those who use packet
while claiming unassisted to fade into the background.  Because the Skimmer
will display decoded calls and all I have to do as an unassisted operator is
click on them to work them, I can work them a helluva lot faster than actually
having to go find them myself.  Which is exactly the same as clicking packet
spots.  It will be VERY difficult to determine who is cheating w/packet and who
is not.

         I agree.  For verification reasons, I believe
any previous distinction between SO and SO(A) has just vanished
(assuming Skimmer is allowed).

 >Phone contests may be the new true test of operator skill in the future.

         Maybe but it's also just a matter of time before
we have an SSB Skimmer with speech recognition software
(available and working well in cell phones today).

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV