[CQ-Contest] TS850 serial number question

Dave Hachadorian K6LL at ARRL.net
Wed Mar 12 13:07:05 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Geiger" <n5ten at yahoo.com>
To: <cq-contest at contesting.com>; <kenwood at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:49 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] TS850 serial number question

>A local friend has a Kenwood TS850 available which I
> might be trading for.  What serial number range is
> best for this rig?  I understand that you generally
> want one with the newer DDS chips in it.  Also,
> besides the memory battery (which I know about) are
> there any other age related problems which are common
> in this rig?
---------------------------

As far as I know, there are no bad serial number ranges for
the 850. I haven't heard about the DDS chips.

Here's a good page for 850 problems/solutions:
http://n6tr.jzap.com/850repair.html

I have two 850's and they have both experienced the "sudden
dropoff in transmitted power with burning smell" and "dead
display" problems listed on the above web page. Both of
those involve electrolytic capacitors, and the fact that
both of my rigs have had those failures leads me to believe
they are age-related. They were both fairly easy to fix.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.