[CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology

Bill Parry bparry at rgv.rr.com
Wed Mar 12 16:20:07 EDT 2008

I just don't understand where we are going with this. It appears that folks
want to pick the technology that suits them and call it fine. (SO2R, or
propagation software, or logging software, or remote stations, at al. and
call them cutting edge technology that improves us all. Other technology for
some reason is "persona non gratis" (anything having to do with packet is
equated with sexual assault of children).

>From contest results, the EVIDENCE I see is that SO2R is a far more valuable
asset than packet. Virtually all the top scoring Single Ops use SO2R. Single
OP scores always seem higher than single op assisted. I don't want to do
SO2R but I say more power to those excellent operators that can use it.

This new skimmer software seems cool to me. Maybe it is the final coming of
the end, I don't know. I'm not smart enough to see into the future, but I
think that a couple of problems with packet might be fixed if we used the
skimmer instead of individuals inputting calls into the packet system.

You see, I know a secret! I am never going to win one of these contests. I
operate the contest because I think they are fun and I like to work new band
countries and old friends. I refuse to be told by someone I am a bad
operator if I miscopy too many calls or I use packet. So I choose not to
enter my log! I enter my log into the 3830 Reflector (in the proper
category). I can see how I have done. If contests are made into name calling
contest, lots of guys may decide not to participate. Should make SS on
Sunday afternoon even more fun!

I think that everyone needs to step back and remember why we got in this
hobby.

Bill W5VX