[CQ-Contest] Cheating with Technology

K-ZERO-HB k-zero-hb at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 19:30:55 EDT 2008

> I just don't understand where we are going with this. It appears that
folks
> want to pick the technology that suits them and call it fine. (SO2R, or
> propagation software, or logging software, or remote stations, at al. and
> call them cutting edge technology that improves us all. Other technology
for
> some reason is "persona non gratis" (anything having to do with packet is
> equated with sexual assault of children).

My working definition of "assistance" is any person or 'system' which helps
identify and 'capture' specific stations and place them in the log.  That
includes spotting networks, packet, 'skimmer', 'super-check-partial', and
other similar 'things'.

My definition does NOT include software which does 'housekeeping' functions
like duping, transcribing the log.  It also does NOT include SO2R skills,
station design skills, antenna design skills, and other skills of the
operator in tilting the playing field in his/her favor.

As long as a single human operator hunts down and identifies target
stations for his/her log, then personally copies the exchange without
outside 'hints', he/she is a Single Operator Unassisted.

This definition does not preclude advanced technology in station design or
radio design.  It DOES preclude technology which allows the 'automated'
capture of information or the manufacture of QSO's from information
provided by automated means.

73, de Hans, K0HB/W7