[CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card - SO2R

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Wed Mar 12 23:49:12 EDT 2008

I have to agree with K9NW on this one.  SO2R was quite common in SS back
at least as far as 1978, at least on CW.  The top ops figured out that
they needed to utilize their CQing time to look for mults or new QSOs,
and invented their own systems to make it work.  Nobody complained that
is was unfair, or should be put into it's own category.  People who
hadn't figured out that they needed to do this simply went about their
contesting with one radio...

Back in 1978 there were no logging programs or rig switchers that
supported SO2R, so everybody had to build their own SO2R systems which
became very personalized.  Because of CQ-Contest and publications like
the NCJ, many of the SO2R non-adopters figured out what they are
missing.  Now you can buy everything needed to do SO2R over the counter,
and my feeling is that many people have adopted SO2R.

However, there is a vocal segment of contesters who are unwilling or
unable to adopt SO2R themselves, and so constantly try to have the
high-achievers restricted to their level.  While they're certainly free
to have their opinion, I'm glad that the contest sponsors so far seem to
see no merit in their arguments.

Dave/K8CC