[CQ-Contest] Dead horse: CQ WW rules apparently prohibit CW Skimmer use

Alfred Frugoli alfred.frugoli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 10:57:50 EDT 2008

The problem with this whole discussion is that the "dead horse" becomes very
alive when you talk about enforcement.  I'm 'relatively' new to contesting
(15 years or so).  From my perspective, the honor system has always been
trusted as a way to know if contest participants were cheating or not.  As
our contest log checking has become more sophisticated we are finding out
that some contest participants are potentially less honorable than others -
maybe.  Tools like DX Clusters, Skimmer, Live scores, chat rooms, etc. all
call for clarification of the rules that are currently in place.

I would propose that each contest sponsor make specific clarifications with
their contest announcements about technological updates over the past year
that may effect the implementation of the rules.  We would still be relying
on the honor system, but at least that eliminates the current gray areas
that exist due to the fact that the rules don't always address new
technologies directly, and are therefore left up to the interpretation of
the contest participant.

There is a difference between a contestant who plays within the rules, but
is able to exploit all the advantages of those rules (i.e. enough hardware
[read money] for an SO2R setup, stacked monobanders, new rigs with roofing
filters and dsp, etc.) and a contestant who stretches the rules to gain an
advantage.  Skimmer is a stretch.

73 de Al, KE1FO