[CQ-Contest] The Future

n3bb at mindspring.com n3bb at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 13 18:16:53 EDT 2008

I have wrestled with this, because in general I agree that we must embrace
technology as a productivity driver. In fact I have invested in both money and time in making my station a competitive SO2R station for both CW and SSB.

The Skimmer, however, now takes "technology" to the point where, I  believe, we must step in. This has been done in many sports, baseball, tennis, golf, auto racing, etc. The reason is that Skimmer makes it possible to have a full list of calls of stations on the band displayed for you automatically. You do not have to hear any of them yourself. This is similar to packet but better, since the calls will not be busted. For this reason, the operator does not have to hear or decode the calls himself. This makes this technological development fundamentally different from all the other developments.

As has been pointed out, advances made it easier to send CW from a keyboard or an
electronic paddle, to use filters to isolate signals, to put log checking on a
computer so dupe checking no longer takes checking a huge list of penciled calls
on a sheet of paper, etc. etc.

There is a huge difference. If we allow the Skimmer, we move to robotic contesting: within a decade, a machine will decode all the signals within a significant swath of spectrum, show them in real time in text format, and allow them to be accessed with a link. It will follow that the machine can decide which one to call depending on the timing and relative strength levels, and call and log the contact automatically. This fully robotocally contesting, technically feasible for some time, will be the de rigeur for world class contesting. Is this what we want? Think about it.

There is a simple way to prevent this. Simply add the requirement that all CW and/or voice signals must be copied and detected with natural (ie. human) capabilities for S/O competition. For Assisted competition, it would be possible to limit the assistance to packet spots copied/detected in a similar manner. There could be a "automatically assisted" category without limits for those who want to push the machine capabilities without limits. That could be interesting. Multiple operator categories could be specified in a similar manner to S/O categories. ie. with and w/out machine decoding/robitics.

Jim George N3BB