[CQ-Contest] Get out of jail free card - SO2R

Sandy Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Fri Mar 14 08:53:57 EDT 2008

The level playing field argument has never really resonated with me, and
here's why:

Why is an operator who develops the ability to SO2R (and it is a skill, it's
not plug-and-play) any different than the athlete who devotes more time to
honourable improvement (the slugger who curls more and more often than the
next guy, the linebacker who hits the dummy more, the golf pro who spends
more time at the range, etc.) than the next guy?

Developing, honourably, an increased skill set relative to competitors is
all part of sports. It's why it was the Giants and the Pats, and not the
Chargers and the Packers, in the Super Bowl.

If we didn't have differing skill sets, there'd be no need for competition.
Everybody would be the same.

Roger Clemens being a better pitcher because he practised more would have
been a good thing. Roger Clemens being a better pitcher because he used,
apparently, steroids, is not.

But learning how to SO2R is not the same as pumping your arm full of
chemicals.

73, Kelly
Ve4xt