[CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Mon Mar 17 13:56:43 EDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:58 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>> Exactly what are the "unfair" advantages of a remote station? It
>> seems to me that there might be some significant *disadvantages* to
>> remote contest operation.
>
> The "unfair" advantages are: 1) the ability to build antennas that
> that would not be available in normal residential areas, 2) the
> ability to operate from geographically advantaged locations (e.g.,
> rare zone, country, section) without being a resident or travel,
> 3) the ability (although not legally) to use multiple receive
> locations.
>
> Equipment without an operator is not a "station."  Similarly, an
> operator without equipment is not a "station"  When the rules say
> that all parts of the station must be within a 500 meter circle,
> that should include the operator.

Quote from CQWW rules:

Transmitters and receivers must be
located within a 500 meter diameter circle
or within the property limits of the station
licensee’s address, whichever is
greater. All antennas used by the entrant
must be physically connected by wires to
the transmitters and receivers used by the
entrant.

End quote.

	Well, that certainly does disqualify remote stations, doesn't it! ;^)

I'd question whether or not there is any serious advantage at all to
a remote station. Certainly it might be a "better" location than the
Op's home QTH, but then anyone who has a good location should be
penalized.  There just isn't enough real advantage to the concept,
after all, the Op can just go to the remote station, and almost
certainly operate more efficiently while there.

I think I'll allow them in PAQSO. It seems like a good technology
enticement.

-73 de Mike N3LI -