[CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Mon Mar 17 16:57:40 EDT 2008

     If you think "the ability to build antennas that would not be available
in normal residential areas" is an unfair advantage, then W0AIH, K3LR,
KC1XX, etc. are all "unfair".  What is a "normal residential area" anyway?
I think that objection is completely ridiculous.

     If your concern is about operators using a station by remote control that
is located in another country, then you should limit your objection to that
point.  There may be regulatory hurdles to such operations already.  My guess
is that a lot of DXCC entities do not have as much freedom for remote and
auxillary station operation as those of us operating under FCC jurisdiction
have.

     The potential of using multiple remote locations is a valid concern and
one that contest sponsors need to make sure is prohibited and communicated to
the contest community through rules clarifications, changes, or FAQs.

     That said, when you iterated your objections, the first two were really
unrelated to remote operation per se, but about people having better station
locations because of remote operation.

    FWIW, I have neither operated from DX nor operated a station remotely
myself.