[CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

Paul Mackanos - K2DB k2db at k2db.org
Wed Mar 19 11:49:32 EDT 2008

Wow, lots of stuff on this thread. I'll throw in my 2 cents here.

I know it's a hot topic, and in fact a lot of guys don't even know about it.
Here is a case in point. I arrived here in Seattle on Thursday of last week,
and looked up area clubs on arrl.org. I ended up attending a meeting on
Saturday morning of the North Kitsap club. As it ended up, they had no
program for the meeting and asked me if I could give a demo of remote
operation. As I had my laptop there, I set it up and actually ran remote
back to the station in NNY.

 To say it was a success does not give it justice, these guys went ballistic
over the program. They loved it, and when I started to work Europeans they
really went nuts, they don't have a very good path to Eu from here. Anyway,
the 2 hour time slot ended up being almost 4 hours and a lot of note taking
from them. I learned what some guys & gals don't know, what they want to
know and all that stuff.

It is really neat to be visiting my new grand daughter and being able to
still get on my radio and do some dx-ing & maybe I will contest a little
this week-end.

Now, I am in the Pacific NW right now in WWA, but remember, my station is in
NNY. When I connect, I am receiving in NNY and transmitting in NNY. No
advantage to the west coast propagation.

If anyone wants info on this subject, I do it and I have a blast and I am
willing to share the info. Contact me off line at k2db at k2db.org

Paul K2DB - K2NNY