[CQ-Contest] Skimmer ultimate setup?

Dave Hachadorian K6LL at ARRL.net
Thu Mar 20 15:57:28 EDT 2008

I'm trying to figure out how CW Skimmer will ultimately
physically tie in to an so2r contest setup. Let me propose a
straw man, and then you smart guys can whip it into shape.

1. We use the IF output of the so2r S&P receiver as the
source of wideband RF.

2. Using an Elecraft K3 as an example, the IF output is at
8.215 Mhz. I hear you need a buffer amp on that output.
Somebody makes a "Z10000" that fills the bill.

3. The output of the Z10000 goes to a "Softrock Lite"
receiver tuned for 8.215 Mhz. Maybe that frequency needs to
be offset from the 8.215 IF to prevent the softrock Lite
oscillator from getting into the K3 IF?

4. The stereo audio output of the Softrock Lite goes into a
good quality soundcard with a high sampling rate, since we
will be dealing with up to 50(?) KHz audio? This soundcard
can be the one in the contest computer, since the soundcard
is not normally used in CW contesting. If you want to do an
audio recording of the entire contest, maybe you need
another computer networked to the logging program and do the
recording there?

5. Whichever computer gets the audio, it needs to be running
the $70 version of CW Skimmer, and that computer also needs
to be running the logging program.

6. CW Skimmer outputs spots to the logging program and puts
them on the bandmap. I'm a little fuzzy on how CW Skimmer
knows the frequency of these spots. Does it look at the rig
control frequency of the S&P Radio, or is some other
connection required for Skimmer to know the frequency?

7. Since Skimmer will be connected to the S&P Radio, that
radio pretty much has to be dedicated for S&P for the
duration of the contest, otherwise Skimmer won't get much
listening time because of all the cq-ing if it's connected
to the run radio radio?

So, am I even close to getting it right?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.