[CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup

Sandy Taylor ve4xt at mts.net
Fri Mar 21 15:53:58 EDT 2008

It's not that Skimmer is a piece of hardware in your shack that makes you
assisted.

Like someone once said, anyone who doens't mine their own silicon,
germanium, manganese and copper to make their own radios could be considered
"assisted."

What makes Skimmer "assistance" in my view is that it does the heavy lifting
for you. To run Skimmer and not say you're assisted is like using a pitching
machine and calling yourself a pitcher.

None of the other hardware in a SO unassisted shack actually does the hard
part -- copying CW -- for you. Skimmer tells you who's there, where he is
and it's not much of a stretch before it automatically tunes the radio to
the station, calls him, types the call into the logger for you and acks the
QSO. That it may miss a few guys doesn't change that.

My god, man, if that's not bordering on assistance, than what is?

73, Kelly
Ve4xt