[CQ-Contest] Skimmer vs. assisted

Stan Stockton k5go at cox.net
Fri Mar 21 21:11:42 EDT 2008

Kelly,

Thank you for sending!.
I had an e-mail I was in the process
of completing when something went astray
with my computer browser and I lost it.

I had the rule copied and pasted and was making the
same point relating to CQ Contests.

Mine is just the opinion of one who has
enjoyed working contests for about 40 years.
I have no interest in this other than what I
think it will do to CW Contesting.

I think life Is too short to have a game
that has been a source of pleasure to so many
people for so many years ruined because of
allowing anything and everything in the way
of technology.

If we want to compare it to a sport,
I challenge anyone to name other sports that
allow any and all technology that comes along
 to be used to the competitor's benefit.

It would seem reasonable to me that,
in a CW Contest, it should be allowed
to use this technology, if one wants to
use it, in the category that already includes
spotting and leave the single operator
category alone such that the operator
will always have to have the ability to
copy CW to make contacts?

BTW, the ultimate setup will be when the CQ
goes out, everyone who uses the new equipment
and software (that is no doubt in the design stages
at least in someone's mind right now) can pileup
on you at about 150 WPM, the computer will make
a list for it to work one after the other at the same
high speed.  You can choose to work one of the
slow boys if there are any left or if you know the code
so you can fool yourself into believing you had
something to do with the operation.

If CW Contesting still exists, I can see 10 years
from now someone reporting that they made
5,000 contacts and bragging that 1,000 of them
were "manual".

Stan, K5GO