[CQ-Contest] Skimmer vs. assisted

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Mar 21 23:27:35 EDT 2008

> What does Cluster do? It shows you who's where, with
> callsigns, assuming the poster copied correctly.

There would be no question that CW Skimmer is not assistance if
the cluster system were not so widely abused.  CW Skimmer is
simply the next step in the evolution of contest hardware that
started with CQ wheels, memory keyers, tape loops, and computer
logging.  Every technological advancement has had the effect
of a "second operator" - particularly computer logging - there
is nothing wrong with that and nobody calls that "logging
assistance."  Similarly, CW Skimmer is not assistance it is one
more instance of technology offloading some part of the operator's
load.

> Clearly, the rule makers have some work to do. My vote is to
> label Skimmer as assistance or as a surrogate op.

It would be foolish and inconsistent to permit remote operation
and ban Skimmer.